Providing children with pocket money on a weekly basis can benefit them in the future. Do you agree or disagree?
Although sometimes a contested issue, it is argued that providing children with a modest amount of pocket money on a weekly basis is helpful to their development. This will be proven by showing how this practice helps children garner both basic financial skills and a sense of responsibility.
Firstly, giving children a small amount of money every week helps their early understanding of financial matters. For example, my friend’s eight-year-old son has been given one Canadian dollar every week for the past year. When the practice was first commenced, this boy would often spend his money frivolously on items of little value. However, as time went on, he came to understand that if he postponed the spending of his dollar his overall wealth accumulated and this allowed him to buy items of greater value. As this example shows, providing children with pocket money every week leads them to have constructive experiences regarding financial issues.
Secondly, parents who issue their children a minute weekly allowance encourage the development of their child’s sense of responsibility. For instance, in my own childhood I was given very small amounts of money every week and allowed to spend it freely. I feel having control over the use of these funds was one of the first major steps I took in my life towards learning how to become a responsible person. As my personal story shows, providing children with pocket money is a positive thing.
After analyzing how giving children a little cash on a weekly basis develops their financial comprehension and level of responsibility, it has been proven that this practice is more positive than negative. Thus, parents are encouraged to consider adopting this regime.
Ryan’s recent IELTS posts
- How to respond to ‘discuss both views’ in IELTS Task 2 19 December 2020
- Are you repeatedly getting band 6? Try this… 6 December 2020
- How to start sentences in your IELTS essay! 16 November 2020
- 10+ High frequency Academic Task 1 verbs! 24 October 2020
- Important compare and contrast IELTS language 13 August 2020
- My ebooks have been updated for 2021! 12 August 2020
- A band 7.5 candidate shares his story! 26 July 2020
- My new ‘Repeat After Me’ IELTS Speaking course is FREE until the end of July 2020! 19 July 2020
- 2021 tips for Canadian PR applications 12 July 2020
- I tried teaching IELTS Writing using Minecraft! 19 June 2020
- Important 2020 changes to IELTS Listening! 16 February 2020
- These Task 2 topics were repeats! 4 February 2020
- Good vs bad IELTS essay structures 26 January 2020
- 1 million views and 1000 comments on this video! 23 December 2019
- IELTS Writing students do this because it works… 12 October 2019
- Every sentence in this IELTS essay has an error! 12 September 2019
- How to write the very first sentence in your IELTS essay… 30 August 2019
- Igor explains how he scored band 8.5 20 July 2019
- 3 Essential Techniques To Sounding Fluent In The Speaking Test! 14 June 2019
- Double action Task 2 questions are not that difficult! 19 May 2019
Listen to my IELTS podcast!