What are the advantages and disadvantages of maternity leave? Which side do you feel outweighs the other?
Laws and social practices surrounding maternity leave vary widely from one country to another. Equally varied are the positions people take on whether maternity leave brings with it more advantages or disadvantages. A conclusion will be reached following this essay’s discussion of these two positions.
On the one hand, the benefits young families receive from paid work leave are evident. For one, it gives new mothers a chance to properly prepare for the birth of their child and recuperate afterward. Not having to shoulder the financial burdens that come with taking unpaid leave, mothers can focus entirely on providing a healthy home environment for their new baby. Thus, the advantages that come from maternity leave are obvious.
However, paid maternity leave can also cause some hesitation towards the hiring of women, particularly among high-pressure corporate positions. For example, often companies in Shanghai will ask job seeking women whether they are married or not. By hiring unmarried women, these firms hope to circumvent the need to provide parental leave should one of their married employees decide to start a family. As these sorts of practices are not isolated to only Shanghai, it is clear that maternity programs have the disadvantage of indirectly encouraging sexism.
Following this look, it is difficult to say the disadvantages of maternity leave outweigh the advantages. Thus, I feel programs that offer new mothers paid work leave provide more benefits than drawbacks, and I hope that parental leave programs will continue to develop and improve into the foreseeable future.
Ryan’s popular IELTS products
Ryan’s recent IELTS posts
- How to respond to ‘discuss both views’ in IELTS Task 2 19 December 2020
- Are you repeatedly getting band 6? Try this… 6 December 2020
- How to start sentences in your IELTS essay! 16 November 2020
- 10+ High frequency Academic Task 1 verbs! 24 October 2020
- Important compare and contrast IELTS language 13 August 2020
- My ebooks have been updated for 2021! 12 August 2020
- A band 7.5 candidate shares his story! 26 July 2020
- My new ‘Repeat After Me’ IELTS Speaking course is FREE until the end of July 2020! 19 July 2020
- 2021 tips for Canadian PR applications 12 July 2020
- I tried teaching IELTS Writing using Minecraft! 19 June 2020
- Important 2020 changes to IELTS Listening! 16 February 2020
- These Task 2 topics were repeats! 4 February 2020
- Good vs bad IELTS essay structures 26 January 2020
- 1 million views and 1000 comments on this video! 23 December 2019
- IELTS Writing students do this because it works… 12 October 2019
- Every sentence in this IELTS essay has an error! 12 September 2019
- How to write the very first sentence in your IELTS essay… 30 August 2019
- Igor explains how he scored band 8.5 20 July 2019
- 3 Essential Techniques To Sounding Fluent In The Speaking Test! 14 June 2019
- Double action Task 2 questions are not that difficult! 19 May 2019
Listen to my IELTS podcast!
Ryan’s paid IELTS products
- Join Ryan's IELTS Writing course! Buy 5 corrections with Ryan (save $25 USD!) $99.00
- 3 corrections with Ryan (save $10 USD!) $65.00
- Join Ryan's IELTS Writing course! Buy 1 correction with Ryan! $25.00
- IELTS General Task 1: How to write at a band 9 level (2021 version) $19.00
- IELTS Academic Task 1: How to write at a band 9 level (2021 version) $19.00
- IELTS Academic and General Task 2: How to write at a band 9 level ebook (2021 version) $19.00