Some people focus on national news, while others think it is more important to be aware of international news. Discuss both views and offer your opinion.
Most would argue a basic understanding of events at both a national and international level is important. Whether one is more important than the other, however, is difficult to say. Both opinions will be analysed in this essay before a reasoned conclusion is drawn.
On the one hand, many people believe their nation’s interior issues should take reporting precedence over exterior ones. For example, elderly people in Canada, who tend to travel less than their younger counterparts, often focus on local news issues. The reason for this is that these domestic stories apply more directly to day-to-day life in Canada, and this is an area of news Canada’s elderly people are interested in. As this example shows, it is understandable why some people focus their attention more on national news reports than international ones.
However, on the other hand, others feel thoroughly understanding international events is more important than focusing on local news. People who typically share this point of view usually defend it by arguing that as cultures, economies and borders blur, a proper understanding of the world is necessary to retain competitiveness. Young people, such as university students, act as good examples here as their lifestyles employ more foreign travel and thus require a working knowledge of developments on the global stage. Thus, it is understandable why this point of view has garnered support.
After analysing all sides of the above debate, I agree that being equally versed in both national and international news is important. Thus, it is clearly impossible to state that one of these reporting types is better than the other.
Ryan’s popular IELTS products
Ryan’s recent IELTS posts
- How to respond to ‘discuss both views’ in IELTS Task 2 19 December 2020
- Are you repeatedly getting band 6? Try this… 6 December 2020
- How to start sentences in your IELTS essay! 16 November 2020
- 10+ High frequency Academic Task 1 verbs! 24 October 2020
- Important compare and contrast IELTS language 13 August 2020
- My ebooks have been updated for 2021! 12 August 2020
- A band 7.5 candidate shares his story! 26 July 2020
- My new ‘Repeat After Me’ IELTS Speaking course is FREE until the end of July 2020! 19 July 2020
- 2021 tips for Canadian PR applications 12 July 2020
- I tried teaching IELTS Writing using Minecraft! 19 June 2020
- Important 2020 changes to IELTS Listening! 16 February 2020
- These Task 2 topics were repeats! 4 February 2020
- Good vs bad IELTS essay structures 26 January 2020
- 1 million views and 1000 comments on this video! 23 December 2019
- IELTS Writing students do this because it works… 12 October 2019
- Every sentence in this IELTS essay has an error! 12 September 2019
- How to write the very first sentence in your IELTS essay… 30 August 2019
- Igor explains how he scored band 8.5 20 July 2019
- 3 Essential Techniques To Sounding Fluent In The Speaking Test! 14 June 2019
- Double action Task 2 questions are not that difficult! 19 May 2019
Listen to my IELTS podcast!
Ryan’s paid IELTS products
- Join Ryan's IELTS Writing course! Buy 5 corrections with Ryan (save $25 USD!) $99.00
- 3 corrections with Ryan (save $10 USD!) $65.00
- Join Ryan's IELTS Writing course! Buy 1 correction with Ryan! $25.00
- IELTS General Task 1: How to write at a band 9 level (2021 version) $19.00
- IELTS Academic Task 1: How to write at a band 9 level (2021 version) $19.00
- IELTS Academic and General Task 2: How to write at a band 9 level ebook (2021 version) $19.00