(This question taken from IELTS-blog.com.)
Public transportation could be made free of charge. Are there more advantages or disadvantages to this change?
Most large cities today boast numerous public transit options, available to residents for a fee. Whether providing these options free of charge is a positive thing is often a highly debated topic. I argue that felt making public transportation available free of charge ramifies more advantages than disadvantages. This will be proven by looking at how a free public transportation system encourages more environmentally friendly living and provides accessibility to low-income individuals.
For one, encouraging people to use public transportation through fare elimination has many benefits to the environment. For example, as more people use a city’s public transit system, the congestion that city experiences on the road is greatly reduced. Having fewer vehicles on the road in turn reduces a city’s overall carbon footprint immensely. Thus, the benefit to removing public transportation fares can be seen.
In addition to this, allowing people to use a city’s transportation services without charge can be exceptionally helpful to low-income residents. For instance, any city that employs this change would empower its people with the ability to live and work in entirely different parts of a city, regardless of their economical situation. This would thus heighten a low-income earner’s chances of gaining financial ground. As this example shows, privileging a city’s people with free transit service boasts more benefits than drawbacks.
After analyzing the above, it is clear that removing the fare charged to public transit passengers has more pros than cons. This alternative should be considered as a future growth option for emerging cities.
Ryan’s popular IELTS products
Ryan’s recent IELTS posts
- How to respond to ‘discuss both views’ in IELTS Task 2 19 December 2020
- Are you repeatedly getting band 6? Try this… 6 December 2020
- How to start sentences in your IELTS essay! 16 November 2020
- 10+ High frequency Academic Task 1 verbs! 24 October 2020
- Important compare and contrast IELTS language 13 August 2020
- My ebooks have been updated for 2021! 12 August 2020
- A band 7.5 candidate shares his story! 26 July 2020
- My new ‘Repeat After Me’ IELTS Speaking course is FREE until the end of July 2020! 19 July 2020
- 2021 tips for Canadian PR applications 12 July 2020
- I tried teaching IELTS Writing using Minecraft! 19 June 2020
- Important 2020 changes to IELTS Listening! 16 February 2020
- These Task 2 topics were repeats! 4 February 2020
- Good vs bad IELTS essay structures 26 January 2020
- 1 million views and 1000 comments on this video! 23 December 2019
- IELTS Writing students do this because it works… 12 October 2019
- Every sentence in this IELTS essay has an error! 12 September 2019
- How to write the very first sentence in your IELTS essay… 30 August 2019
- Igor explains how he scored band 8.5 20 July 2019
- 3 Essential Techniques To Sounding Fluent In The Speaking Test! 14 June 2019
- Double action Task 2 questions are not that difficult! 19 May 2019
Listen to my IELTS podcast!
Ryan’s paid IELTS products
- Join Ryan's IELTS Writing course! Buy 5 corrections with Ryan (save $25 USD!) $99.00
- 3 corrections with Ryan (save $10 USD!) $65.00
- Join Ryan's IELTS Writing course! Buy 1 correction with Ryan! $25.00
- IELTS General Task 1: How to write at a band 9 level (2021 version) $19.00
- IELTS Academic Task 1: How to write at a band 9 level (2021 version) $19.00
- IELTS Academic and General Task 2: How to write at a band 9 level ebook (2021 version) $19.00