Do you feel artists like writers, musicians and painters still have value in modern society? Discuss.
The role artists play in modern society is an often debated topic. On the one hand, many people see art and culture as critical components to a society’s image and sense of identity. Others, however, feel that the significance of a society’s arts is overrated in the modern world. This essay will analyze both sides of this argument.
From one perspective, many people believe strongly in the value that artists bring to a society. For example, Bob Marley was a musician whose work helped to shape the modern cultural image of Jamaica and bring attention to global problems. Performers like Marley help their countries establish recognizable cultures upon which valuable industries and worldwide recognition can grow. It is thus clear why many argue that artists still bring value to modern society.
However, many counter that performers in the modern age contribute little of value to society. Many pop music artists in Canada play a good example here. Today, popular music production in Canada follows a very prescribed path. An artist’s lyrics, image, sound and name are often decided by producers in an effort to maximize sales. The unfortunate result of this is that it causes a lot of Canadian music to sound the same. This repetitious quality to Canadian music and other modern arts of the world make it understandable why many feel artists contribute little of value to society.
Following this look, I feel that most performers still produce work that benefits society. However, regardless of their effect on society, artistic freedom should be extended to all performers.
Ryan’s popular IELTS products
Ryan’s recent IELTS posts
- How to respond to ‘discuss both views’ in IELTS Task 2 19 December 2020
- Are you repeatedly getting band 6? Try this… 6 December 2020
- How to start sentences in your IELTS essay! 16 November 2020
- 10+ High frequency Academic Task 1 verbs! 24 October 2020
- Important compare and contrast IELTS language 13 August 2020
- My ebooks have been updated for 2021! 12 August 2020
- A band 7.5 candidate shares his story! 26 July 2020
- My new ‘Repeat After Me’ IELTS Speaking course is FREE until the end of July 2020! 19 July 2020
- 2021 tips for Canadian PR applications 12 July 2020
- I tried teaching IELTS Writing using Minecraft! 19 June 2020
- Important 2020 changes to IELTS Listening! 16 February 2020
- These Task 2 topics were repeats! 4 February 2020
- Good vs bad IELTS essay structures 26 January 2020
- 1 million views and 1000 comments on this video! 23 December 2019
- IELTS Writing students do this because it works… 12 October 2019
- Every sentence in this IELTS essay has an error! 12 September 2019
- How to write the very first sentence in your IELTS essay… 30 August 2019
- Igor explains how he scored band 8.5 20 July 2019
- 3 Essential Techniques To Sounding Fluent In The Speaking Test! 14 June 2019
- Double action Task 2 questions are not that difficult! 19 May 2019
Listen to my IELTS podcast!
Ryan’s paid IELTS products
- Join Ryan's IELTS Writing course! Buy 5 corrections with Ryan (save $25 USD!) $99.00
- 3 corrections with Ryan (save $10 USD!) $65.00
- Join Ryan's IELTS Writing course! Buy 1 correction with Ryan! $25.00
- IELTS General Task 1: How to write at a band 9 level (2021 version) $19.00
- IELTS Academic Task 1: How to write at a band 9 level (2021 version) $19.00
- IELTS Academic and General Task 2: How to write at a band 9 level ebook (2021 version) $19.00