Some countries make it illegal to work past the age of 65. Do you think people should be forced to retire at a certain age?
Opinions regarding what constitutes a healthy retirement age seem to vary from one country to another. This is manifest in nations with laws, or lack thereof, that stipulate the age when a person is required to end their professional life. I feel compulsory retirement should not be legally enforced upon anyone except those working in positions where age could pose a significant safety risk to themselves or others. The following paragraphs will illustrate the merits of this position.
Firstly, it should be remembered that age does not necessarily affect professional performance negatively. In fact, as is the case with writers, age can often bring a certain wisdom that enhances the quality of an author’s work. Noam Chomsky, a topical author now in his mid-eighties, continues to publish relevant and highly respected material despite his advanced years. Were he forced to halt his profession due to his age, his insight and decades of understanding would largely go unheard. Thus, it is clear that certain professions should be allowed to continue regardless of age.
However, there are other lines of work that demand strict ruling with regards to retirement. Pilots, for example, must able to execute decisions clearly without reservation or fatigue. The reduced stamina of pilots over the age of 65 could potentially risk the lives of hundreds of passengers, and this is obviously a serious safety risk. Thus, there are merits to enforcing a retirement age upon people in certain professions.
As the above shows, the establishing of a mandatory retirement age should be made specific to the profession in question. Such a policy helps to maximise both the productivity and safety of a society.
Ryan’s popular IELTS products
Ryan’s recent IELTS posts
- How to respond to ‘discuss both views’ in IELTS Task 2 19 December 2020
- Are you repeatedly getting band 6? Try this… 6 December 2020
- How to start sentences in your IELTS essay! 16 November 2020
- 10+ High frequency Academic Task 1 verbs! 24 October 2020
- Important compare and contrast IELTS language 13 August 2020
- My ebooks have been updated for 2021! 12 August 2020
- A band 7.5 candidate shares his story! 26 July 2020
- My new ‘Repeat After Me’ IELTS Speaking course is FREE until the end of July 2020! 19 July 2020
- 2021 tips for Canadian PR applications 12 July 2020
- I tried teaching IELTS Writing using Minecraft! 19 June 2020
- Important 2020 changes to IELTS Listening! 16 February 2020
- These Task 2 topics were repeats! 4 February 2020
- Good vs bad IELTS essay structures 26 January 2020
- 1 million views and 1000 comments on this video! 23 December 2019
- IELTS Writing students do this because it works… 12 October 2019
- Every sentence in this IELTS essay has an error! 12 September 2019
- How to write the very first sentence in your IELTS essay… 30 August 2019
- Igor explains how he scored band 8.5 20 July 2019
- 3 Essential Techniques To Sounding Fluent In The Speaking Test! 14 June 2019
- Double action Task 2 questions are not that difficult! 19 May 2019
Listen to my IELTS podcast!
Ryan’s paid IELTS products
- Join Ryan's IELTS Writing course! Buy 5 corrections with Ryan (save $25 USD!) $99.00
- 3 corrections with Ryan (save $10 USD!) $65.00
- Join Ryan's IELTS Writing course! Buy 1 correction with Ryan! $25.00
- IELTS General Task 1: How to write at a band 9 level (2021 version) $19.00
- IELTS Academic Task 1: How to write at a band 9 level (2021 version) $19.00
- IELTS Academic and General Task 2: How to write at a band 9 level ebook (2021 version) $19.00